Fleas are small insects that can jump onto your pet’s body. They are usually found in humid and warm environments. If you live in a context with these characteristics, it is important that you pay special attention and know the different ways that exist to eliminate fleas from cats.
If you have detected that your cat has fleas, it is advisable to start eliminating them from the first moment to prevent them from spreading. To fight them, you can perform some home remedies or, if you prefer, apply some products that will help you to end the problem. Here are some of the options available.
How to remove fleas from a cat step by step
There are some home remedies you can do if you detect that your cat has fleas.
Some of the most effective are:
- Essential oils: mix a little lavender or citronella oil with anti-flea shampoo.
- Chamomile: an infusion of chamomile is a good remedy to eliminate fleas in cats. Boil water with chamomile, strain the infusion and soak a cloth in the liquid. After that, apply the cloth on your cat’s skin.
- Lemon: To remove fleas from a cat, combine equal parts water and lemon juice. Add the liquid to a spray bottle and spray the mixture on your cat.
- Vinegar: add equal parts vinegar to shampoo and bathe your pet to eliminate fleas.
In addition to this, it is important that you carry out a specific treatment in the environment to eliminate fleas. These insects can nest anywhere your cat has been, such as the sofa or carpet. It is best to do a deep cleaning to disinfect.
Some of the things you can do are:
- Wash blankets and carpets at least at 60º.
- Vacuum very frequently and remove the bag or empty the tank after each use.
- Use anti-parasite sprays to spray around your home.
How to remove fleas from a baby cat
When fleas affect a baby cat, the situation is more worrying because they are more vulnerable and sensitive than adults. Special care must be taken when treating health problems, because you cannot use the same products as when they are older.
If your cat is affected by this type of insects, there are some home remedies that you can do. If you do not get the desired result, we advise you to visit a veterinarian to proceed with the elimination of these insects. Some of the home remedies to remove fleas from a baby cat are:
Bath with soap and water
Bath time is a delicate time, especially when your cat is a baby. Therefore, it is advisable to consult a veterinarian and keep in mind a few things:
- Do not submerge your cat under water. Fill the sink or a basin with a little water and put your pet in it. Moisten its skin, little by little, gently. Avoid wetting the head area.
- Apply a special shampoo for kittens.
- Use a specific comb to eliminate fleas. When you see one, put it in a jar with very hot water and a little shampoo.
- Rinse your kitten, dry it and wrap it in a towel to keep it warm.
One remedy to eliminate fleas in baby cats is alcohol. To use it, dip a cotton swab in a little alcohol. When you see a flea, press and rub lightly with the swab on it. After that, pick it up and throw it in a glass with alcohol to eliminate it definitively. Repeat the procedure until your kitten is free of fleas.
Apple cider vinegar
This product is used to remove fleas from a cat, but it is a solution that does not completely eliminate them, but forces them to jump to another body territory. To apply it, mix apple cider vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Then, wet your cat with the liquid and brush gently. Reapply the mixture after three days.
This remedy is useful at the time of brushing. When brushing your cat with a special flea comb, take some Vaseline and place it on top of the parasite to immobilize it and make it easier to remove.
Another option you have to remove fleas from a cat is to use specific products. To use some of them, it is advisable to talk to your veterinarian beforehand.
Here are some of the products you can find:
- Pipettes: they are easy to apply and are very effective. They are applied on the dorsal line of the cat and act by eliminating fleas.
- Collars: integrate insecticides that repel and eliminate these insects. Their duration of use is approximately 3 months.
- Tablets: are an effective alternative when the above products cause reactions. In addition, their advantage is that they can have an effect on external and internal parasites.
- Shampoos and brushes: Shampoos are soaps that help to end the flea problem. The brushes have a special design to hunt fleas and remove them from the cat’s body.
Remember that prevention is the best way to protect your pet against parasites and the diseases they transmit. Therefore, it is important that you follow the deworming protocol and know how and when to do it so that your pet is always protected. This way, you will avoid having to remove fleas from your cat.