Fleas are tiny parasites that can lodge in the fur of our pets and transmit diseases, putting their health at risk. These small intruders bite the skin and feed on the blood, causing itching and discomfort to the animal, so they can sometimes be a big headache, especially if we do not know how to remove fleas from a dog. Moreover, these parasites not only affect dogs, but also many other species and ourselves.
As always, prevention is always the best way to prevent your dog from getting fleas that can reach you or your home. But, if they have already made their way to your furry friend, we are going to tell you how to remove fleas from a dog in different ways.
Remember that in Tiendanimal you have a wide range of products to prevent and solve this type of infestations. In the form of collars, pipettes, sprays or shampoos to suit every need and always from the best brands to ensure effective protection. If you are not sure which one to choose and need help, take a look at this post, in which we tell you which is the best flea repellent for your dog.
How can we remove fleas from a dog?
There are different ways to eliminate these annoying parasites depending on the level of infestation and the circumstances. You can use some home remedies, special sprays, shampoos… Veterinary products are the most effective, fast and safe but, if you do not have a vet nearby, it is the weekend and he is closed or you simply cannot go, home remedies can be a very good initial option to relieve your furry one and reduce as many fleas as possible. If in doubt, always go to the clinic for advice.
Home remedies for fleas
We will explain in detail how to prepare the two best known and most effective remedies:
How to remove fleas from a dog with vinegar?
Vinegar is a very effective home remedy to eliminate fleas in dogs when the infestation is not very large. Its sour taste and strong odor is very unpleasant for the parasites, so when they detect it, they tend to move away and flee, even die. It also works in the case of ticks and as a prevention method, as a natural repellent. The best vinegars to repel fleas are wine vinegar and apple vinegar.
Steps to follow to remove fleas from a dog:
- Mix vinegar with warm water in a container. You can make 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water.
- Put your dog in the bathtub and apply the mixture on his body, as if you were going to bathe him.
- Massage all areas well so that the vinegar penetrates between the hair and the skin.
- Fleas will begin to move and fall into the tub.
- If you see that there are still fleas, pour the mixture again and repeat the process.
- Run an anti-lice comb over the entire coat to drag and remove any parasites that have not fallen off.
- Rinse well with water to finish.
- If you want to remove the remaining vinegar smell, you can also bathe your dog afterwards as usual, with its shampoo.
- You can use this method on puppies but, instead of bathing them, distribute the mixture over the body with a damp cloth.
In case of more serious infestations, you can use vinegar alone, without mixing it with water. Remember to always be careful with your eyes and nose because it is a very strong product.
How to remove fleas from a dog with lemon?
Lemon is acidic and also kills fleas. You can use it in two different ways:
- Squeeze one lemon for every half liter of water and spray the mixture on your dog’s coat until it is very wet. Then use a flea comb so that the lemon juice penetrates and is well distributed throughout the coat and you can easily remove fleas.
- Heat water in a pot and, when it is about to boil, add a lemon cut into slices and let it boil for 5 minutes. Then remove the pot from the heat and let it stand for 8 hours so that the water absorbs all the properties of the lemon. Once this time has passed, spread the water through the hair with the help of a sponge. You don’t need to rinse it.
You can use this homemade spray on puppies, being careful not to get it in their eyes, and also as an insect repellent.
Other home remedies to remove fleas from a dog
You can also try other lesser known methods to remove fleas from a dog such as:
Yes, as you read it. Mix one cup of alcohol with two cups of hot water, add a few drops of dishwashing liquid and use it as a shampoo. Let it act for a few minutes and rinse with water.
Then brush your dog with a comb to remove any dead or dying fleas.
Water with eucalyptus and lavender oil
Bathing your dog regularly with these oils will prevent him from catching fleas and help to eliminate them as they have a strong scent with a repellent effect.
Boil a quart of bark in a liter of water and, once it has cooled, spray it on the dog’s coat. Other remedies such as chamomile tea, brewer’s yeast or thyme and rosemary oils can also be used.
How to remove fleas from a dog with veterinary products?
This product is especially indicated for puppies as it is very safe. It is a full action spray that can be used on dogs and cats as young as two days old. It acts quickly and effectively killing all fleas and lice and offering protection for 3 months.
They work just like a normal shampoo. You only have to apply it and leave it on for 5 minutes or the time indicated by the manufacturer. Then rinse with water and brush to remove any fleas left on the hair.
Flea sprays and pipettes
There are many brands of pipettes that prevent and eliminate fleas by direct contact within 12 hours of application, prolonging their effect for several months to avoid possible reinfestations.
The spray is a fast, effective and very easy to apply treatment, with immediate effect. Just spray and massage well to distribute it all over the coat. This is the best option for very large infestations. We recommend that you bathe your dog afterwards to remove all the dead fleas, as well as to remove the feces and dirt they leave on the skin. Ideally, if your dog has a large number of fleas, you should first use a spray to eliminate all possible fleas, and then a pipette in case there are any remaining as a preventive measure.
Also remember to disinfect all the areas where your dog has been, otherwise he could get infected again: the sofa, the sheets, his bed, etc. We leave you an article about cómo eliminar pulgas en casa.
In Tiendanimal you can find different champús y sprays antiparasitariosIn Tiendanimal you can find different shampoos and sprays, as well as environmental insecticides, to remove fleas from your dog and put an end once and for all to these horrible parasites. If you don’t manage to get rid of them, remember to visit your veterinarian.