If there is something that is truly attractive and fun for cats, it is plants. It is true that not everyone has the same interest in them and there will be some for whom they go unnoticed. But, maybe your cat is a plant lover and loves to smell and play with the plants you have around the house or outdoors. If this is the case, it is important for you to know that not all plants are safe for cats and that we must be very careful with the ones we have at home. In the previous article, we detailed in detail which were the plantas tóxicas para gatos and which were the health disorders that they could cause. Today we tell you which are the non-toxic plants for cats, that is, the good plants, so that you can have them at home without worrying about them harming your feline if he touches or eats them.
List of non-toxic plants for cats
Here you will find a wide variety of plants suitable for cats that are completely safe and do not endanger their health. Most aromatic plants used in the kitchen are safe for cats, but there are also exceptions, such as bay laurel.
- Areca or yellow palm
- Mouth of dragon
- Zebra cactus
- Ribbon or spider
- Hoya carnosa or wax flower
- Baby tears
- Maranta or prayer plant
- Ponytail palm
- Peperomia obtusifolia
- Succulents or succulents
- African Violet
Good plants that you can use assiduously
There are some types that are not only non-toxic plants for cats, but are also sold or recommended especially for them because of their attractive smell or medicinal properties.
Plants can function as a stimulus, as an extra nutrient or even to manage emotions. Plant lovers will have fun and reduce their stress by playing with them and enjoying their scent.
- Catnip. Known as catnip or catnip. Its aroma is very attractive and stimulating for some felines and produces different reactions in them such as rubbing, biting or playing more than usual. It is so potent that it is commonly found in many cat toys and scratching posts. At Tiendanimal you can find it in many different formats.
- Sprouted grass. It can be grown at home and rye, barley, oat or wheat seeds are usually used. It provides nutrients, vitamins, fiber and folic acid and promotes digestive health and intestinal transit. You can find complete kits to plant and grow it easily.
- Valerian. It has a powerful calming effect that can help in cases of stress or anxiety.
- Lavender. It has relaxing properties and is also antiviral and antibacterial.
- Peppermint. Beneficial for the respiratory and digestive system.
- Parsley. Good for the urinary system.
- Rosemary. It is antiseptic and diuretic. It works as a muscle relaxant.
- Thyme. It has relaxing properties and strengthens the immune system.
- Basil. It has analgesic properties.
Why do some cats eat plants?
If you’re looking for non-toxic cat plants, you’ve probably also wondered why cats like them. In addition to the aromatic attraction of herbs and flowers, there are a few theories as to why cats ingest them:
- nutrients and vitamins present in them
- improve your digestion and intestinal transit
- to voluntarily induce vomiting because they feel unwell
- facilitates the expulsion of hairballs
- for use as an antiparasitic treatment
Now that you know which plants are non-toxic for cats, tell us which ones you have at home and which are your feline’s favorites.