A parrot is a bird that is especially characterized by its striking colors and its curious ability to imitate the human voice. It has a strong, hard and thick beak and usually lives in temperate and tropical climates. One of the questions asked by all those who decide to have this animal as a pet is how many years a parrot lives.
The parrot is an ideal bird to have at home as a pet. Its striking plumage and its ability to repeat and imitate human sounds are some of its most peculiar characteristics. It is best to have an easy to care for parrot at home. From here on, by feeding it well and taking it at least once a year to the vet, the life expectancy of a parrot can be considerably extended.
How long does a parrot live?
The longevity of a parrot can be very diverse. It all depends on the variety and lifestyle of the animal. In fact, it is estimated that parrots living in captivity have a greater longevity. This is mainly due to the fact that they will be much more cared for and safer.
It should also be noted that there are almost 300 different parrot species worldwide. Each of them has a different life expectancy. A parrot’s longevity will be greater or lesser depending on factors such as lifestyle, the size of the animal, its habitat and whether it lives alone or in a community.
For example, if we ask how many years a parrot lives according to its size, larger parrots have a longer life expectancy than smaller ones. Likewise, if the parrot lives in a community, it is much more likely that its longevity will also be greater than that of parrots living alone. And, needless to say, parrots that live in captivity and are well fed and cared for will last longer than those in the wild.
If you have a parrot at home, the lifestyle it leads will be critical to its life expectancy. It is very important to have a large cage so that the parrot can move easily. In addition, it is necessary to bathe them at least once every 10 days and prevent them from getting bored, as they tend to get bored more often than not.
Do all parrots have the same life expectancy?
It can be said, therefore, that the years of life of a parrot will be different according to each species. Below, we show you how many years a parrot lives depending on which variety they belong to.
- African Grey Parrot. It can live between 40 and 60 years.
- Amazon parrot. It is estimated that their life expectancy can reach 75 years. However, there are subgroups within this variety that do not live more than 30 years.
- Cockatoos. The famous and popular cockatoos, one of the most common pets, can live up to 60 years. But, as with the Amazon parrot, there are cockatoos that last less years (around 30) and others that last longer (up to 90-100 years).
- Parrots. There are different varieties of parrots, so their life expectancy may vary. However, almost none of them have a life span of more than 35-40 years.
- Macaw. The macaw is another of the most popular parrot varieties. Generally, if you are wondering how many years a parrot of this type lives, they have a life expectancy that can reach 50 years. Although, the measure of life is more in the 40’s.
- Finches. It is the species of parrot that has a shorter longevity. In this case, they do not last more than 10 years.
- Senegal Parrot. This variety of parrot native to this African country can live approximately 30 years.
A parrot’s longer life expectancy may depend, above all, on the absence of predators. It is a bird that is also able to find food easily and adapts very well to the tropical climate in which it usually lives. It does not need, therefore, a very complex lifestyle. This is why it is one of the longest-lived birds in existence.
Without going any further, parrots feed on seeds, leaves, some insects and fruits such as bananas, peaches and cherries. In case you have a parrot as a pet, you can offer it these foods. You should avoid giving it avocado, sweet or salty foods, coffee, milk and unboiled potatoes. Otherwise, you will shorten its life span due to poor nutrition.
If you have ever wondered how many years a parrot lives, you should know that it all depends on the species of the animal. At the same time, other factors come into play, such as lifestyle, size and natural habitat. The average life expectancy is 30-40 years, but there are varieties that can live up to 90-100 years.
In Tiendanimal you will find la mejor alimentación para tu loroThe best food for your parrot, with which you will get it to be strong, healthy and live for many years. It is also very important that you know how their diet and care should be, and for that we have a page especially dedicated to loros y cotorras where you will find advice on qué deben comerhow to take care of them and many other curiosities.